History

Early History

 

State Historic MarkerMt. Stirling shares the distinction of being one of Virginia’s noted early plantations. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and a Virginia Historic Landmark, first appearing in colonial records as the property of Henry Soane, Speaker of the House of Burgesses in 1660-61.

 

A patent for land at this location was issued to Mr. Soane in 1662, and it is probable that the first house was built on the land shortly thereafter. William Byrd, in his secret diary, refers to having crossed Soane’s Bridge on the Chickahominy River in 1709. It was this bridge, half mile north of the present house (now a part of Rt. 155 but at the time accessible only by roads through this plantation) which Gen. J.E.B. Stuart crossed on June 14, 1862, on his famous ride around McClellan. Sheridan’s Cavalry and the Ninth and Sixth Corps of Grant’s Army also crossed this bridge on June 13-14, 1864.

 

Henry Soane’s granddaughter, Elizabeth, married Rev. David Mossom, Rector of St. Peter’s Parish Church in New Kent County and officiating minister at the marriage of George Washington and Martha Dandridge Custis. A handsome tombstone dated 1759 inthe Colonial Cemetery near Old House Landing, once a part of this plantation, marks Elizabeth’s grave.

 

Elizabeth Mossom Reynolds TombstoneTheir daughter, Elizabeth Mossom Reynolds, married Capt. William Reynolds, owner of a vessel which plyed in the tobacco trade. She died at age 30, and is buried in New Kent County at St. Peter’s.

 

jerdone

 

Francis Jerdone acquired the Plantation in 1771. Jerdone was a Scottish merchant who immigrated to to Virginia 1746 and settled at Yorktown. At this time the colonial iron forge, known as Providence Forge, was also purchased by Jerdone. This forge was later dismantled by the locals and buried during the Revolutionary War in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of Cornwallis.

 

The first house on Stirling Plantation was torn down when the present home was built in 1848 by William Jerdone, grandson of Francis, who added the word “Mount” to the original name. All bricks used in the construction were made on the property in heart pine molds, two of which are still on display in the home. All the lumber was hand-cut and sawn on the property, using the finest heart pine for the timbers. Two years were required to prepare and assemble the building materials.

 

Old chimney and foundation of former slave quarters on Mt. Stirling Plantation, Providence Forge, VA - Terri Aigner PhotoStill standing on the property is the original kitchen/laundry house, which was used by both houses. All the cooking was done in this kitchen, as was the tradition in the colonial period, and meals brought in to the big house, up until the close of the War Between the States.

 

Remains of one of the seven servants’ quarters, located along the brow of the hill and part of the original home, are located to the east of the present house. Up until the Civil War, 137 slaves lived at Mount Stirling. At that time, the plantation consisted of 2200 acres on both sides of the Chickahominy River.

 

The grounds were renovated early in the 20th century and the magnificent specimen trees and landscaping have matured to a majestic beauty rarely found elsewhere in Virginia. Mt. Stirling has been loved and cared for by the Bailey family for three generations, and they are now pleased to offer it as an unforgettable wedding and event venue for your very special day.

Questions? Call (757) 846-6002
E-mail: mtstirlingevents@gmail.com